Thursday, April 17, 2014

Department Store Couponing - More $5 Fun!!

I recently received the coveted $10 off $10 coupon from Kohl's. I get so excited when I receive those in the mail!!


My hours were recently cut back at work, which means I'm not only making half the money I was a few months ago, but also paying my own health insurance (sad face).  This being said, I'm really trying to watch my spending at the moment. However, after going three months buying NOT ONE DARN THING, NOT EVEN ANYTHING FROM THE DOLLAR STORE, I'm about to lose my dang mind! My eye has started to twitch with wanting to buy something. I'm like a woman who is on a diet and has cut out all sweets and is about to metaphorically binge eat on some donuts (dollars). So, since my mental health is important to me (and my husband), I've decided that it's OK for me to buy a tiny something, no more than $15, here and there so that I don't wind up in the nut house.

Anyway, as I mentioned before in my previous department store couponing post, when I get these coupons I try to get as close to free as absolutely possible. I did not meet that goal this time, but I came in at a whopping $3.81 for something I've been needing, which does fall within my not spending over $5 with these coupons rule. Like I said before I walk around the store like a panther stalking her prey and weigh my options. Before I reveal my purchase I thought it might be cool to show what I didn't buy. Here were my first and second runners up...

I thought these sandals were really cute! They even had squishy soles which made them pretty comfy, but I think they made my feet look weird. I have issues. Otherwise, I would have walked away with these babies in either coral or navy for $1.99 plus tax.  These Kohl's coupons are great, because normally all items in the store are on "sale" and the coupons work on sale items. Always read the fine print. :)



My first runner up was also shoe related.  I have several pregnant friends right now, so these adorable Converse baby socks caught my eye. I thought the white and teal colors were pretty gender neutral, so they'd be a pretty safe bet. Had I known the gender of either munchkin, I might have picked up an outfit for them instead. I didn't get a photo of the sale price, but they were on sale from $15.50 for $11.62, so I would have paid $1.62 plus tax for a cute baby gift. 


However great a deal that might have been, my selfishness kicked in and I decided to buy something I've been needing/wanting for the house. I've been in full Spring cleaning mode and I've been itching to make over the pantry. So since I knew I already needed another OXO Pop container, that's what I got. I got one container in the 0.9 qt size. I think $3.81 (that includes tax) is a great deal for these especially considering I would have paid $15.99 plus tax for this guy. Soooo expensive! I've been lucky to receive a starter set of these for a wedding gift (thanks Mom!!) and have grown my collection since with coupons like these, outlet purchases, and finding the occasional one at TJ Maxx. I refuse to pay that price for a food container (although I do super love them!!).


It was a lot of fun finally getting to shop again and knowing I didn't break the bank. Can't wait for the next coupon. There might just be another OXO container in my future! 



No comments:

Post a Comment